All Day Outside

Yesterday I spent just about the entire day outside.

On Saturday I went up to my parents' for a family get together with my dad's sister, my mom's sister, and my mom's aunt. I don't much care for my mom's side of the family and while I tried coming at them with an open mind and heart, it being a number of years since I'd last seen them, they proved to repeat the same negative traits that has pushed me away from them. My dad and his sister agreed so we ended up spending a lot of time together, hiding from my mom's half. One of the things I did to stay busy away from the family was prepping an old metal horse trough to be turned into a raised planter box. I had to drill a few holes in the bottom for drainage and load it, as well as a bucket of composted horse manure, into the back of my car. I unloaded it all as soon as I got home that night.

Roomie needed a ride to the train station so I offered to take him. After dropping him off, I went to the store I work at to get a number of bags of soil as well as more pots and seeds for those pots. I got straight to work as soon as I got home, starting with the raised bed.

Empty container Layer 1: fill dirt Composting weeds and some veggies that went bad Layer 2: soil Layer 3: manure All the seeds sewn

Overall I'm hopeful that it will turn out alright. I had to mix a little bit more of the fill dirt on top to get to the level I was wanting but it was really clay-rich so I'm hoping this won't be too hard for the seeds to take root in.

I spent the rest of the morning and first part of the afternoon planting in my pots, and when I ran out of pots, just about any container I could find. I really love gardening and I can't wait to watch my garden continue to grow. I ran out of soil and called it a day for gardening, but still wanted to be outside so I started harvesting any dandelions I could find in my garden to make tea out of. I filled up a mason jar with them and was planning on making the tea last night but then Roomie got back and asked if I could help flush his brakes. It was hot but it was fun, generally I prefer working with fluids that won't chemically burn me if I get it on my hands but hey, such is the nature of the beast. It took us a few hours and 2 trips to the hardware store, but we got it done. Still it didn't fix his issue.

When we were cleaning up it was dark and by the time I got in and showered off all the dirt and car gunk it was 21:00. Sure I had come in a couple of times to get stuff from inside but all in all, I was outside for the vast majority of the day and it was great. I feel so much more connected to the world out there, than staring at a glass box, even if I am talking to people.

I just gotta remember to put on sunscreen before it's too late next time.

Contact Me

I regularly check my email, If I don't respond quickly, send me a poke: